Rant time. The longer I keep bettas, the angrier I get when I see things like this.
These are not homes.
Bettas are not decorations, they are living animals. At the very, very least they should have a gallon of water, and even that isn’t really suitable unless you have minimal decor to give them maximum swimming room.
I don’t really understand why people buy small glasses like this, because it’s not like it’s any more difficult to care for if you put it in a larger bowl. You can easily make larger containers just as visually beautiful, if not more so!
"But I’ve kept my betta in this vase for a long time now and he’s survived."
Yes, but what if I stuck you in a closet for years and brought you food and water everyday? You’d survive. Not comfortably or happily, but you’d survive. You wouldn’t keep your dog pent up in a kennel his whole life would you? No, that’s something that we call animal police on.
That’s exactly how it is for these fish. They can “survive” in these conditions but it’s a very cruel and sad form of life. Nitrates and ammonia build up in the water from their own waste, which can make it hard for them to breath and can even poison them if not changed constantly.
"But my fish doesn’t even do anything, he lays around on the top/bottom all day."
That’s called depression. Any adequate betta owner can tell you that most of these fish are actually quite active if they actually have the swimming room to be so. In a small glass like one of these, what else is there to do but sit around and do nothing? There isn’t space to do anything else. And his poor fins! Wouldn’t you like to see how beautiful they truly are? Too bad he has no room to spread them out in that little cup of his, he can only keep them cramped together.
I can guarantee that there is a remarkable difference when you transfer one of these creatures from a small glass to an actual bowl (Ideally 2.5 gal and up). Make sure the water is either tap water if you have a well, or treated tap water if you live off a town water system. It should also be between 70-80 degrees (all fish’s preferences will vary); if your house is already pretty toasty, that’s fine, but if not they have tiny little betta heaters you can purchase for very little cost. Put in some decorations or toys, and feed him more than just pellets. Dried brine shrimp can easily be found in the fish food section. Now give him a week or so, and watch his personality change. Given adequate living space/temp, good food, and even some interaction from you, he will become much happier and healthier - and prettier!
"But those small containers are just so lovely."
Trust me, I know, I love interior design. As a suggestion, I’d say you could get one of these and put him in it for a night if you were having a dinner party and used it as a center piece. But only a night! In the morning he should go back to his real home. And what’s so hard about having a decorative large environment anyway? There are a million different colors of plants, statues, and gravel for you to choose from! Why not pick some out that have a theme or compliment his colors? It really wouldn’t be any more trouble for you to clean every week or two, it only takes about ten minutes. Put him in a holding cup, take out his decor and rinse them off with your hands (no soap!) and then shift his stones around in the water to loosen the waste so you can just strain it out. Fill it back up, put decor back, and put him in (remember, you may need to give the water a bit of time to adjust to room temperature, don’t dump him back in right away or the temperature change will send him into shock). Those things are all really simple to attend to, no more effort than keeping him in a tiny little bowl. Except now, both you and him will benefit from it.
These fish can be extremely personable if you let them. Stop betta abuse.
They are not decorations, they are living creatures.
reblogging this to my main blog cause bettas are one of the few fish you can actually interact with and
(at least in my opinion) have some of the biggest personality differences between fish. I love my two boys to death and would do anything for them, and some people would throw their fish in a cup and call it a home.
Soldier Crab | Mictyris longicarpus
Soldier crabs feed on detritus in the sand, leaving rounded pellets of discarded sand behind them. The males form into large “armies” which traverse the beach at low tide, before the crabs dig into the sand in their unique corkscrew motion, to wait for the next low tide.
(by Ian Bool)
Raleigh Becket + That Thing He Does With His Hips
Raleigh “I Lead With My Hips” Becket
"Yes, but that’s still a minority! If more women played video games, there would be more reason to have female protagonists!"
when you say “nonbinary identities don’t exist BECAUSE SCIENCE”
all you’re telling me is that you don’t know what science is
science is a systematic attempt to describe the world. science does not define the world
if you were to go up to a scientist and say “there are things that exist in the word that science does has not yet adequately described, or described at all”
the scientist would be like “yeah i know, that’s why i still have a job”
There’s two types of anger one is dry and the other wet and basically wet anger is when your eyes water and your voice shakes and I hate that cause I feel weak when I’m crying while angry I like dry anger when your face is like stone and your voice is sharp I guess wet anger shows that you care too much and dry anger means you’re done.
This is the best description ever
Opossums are literally too cool to catch rabies…oh wait.
I’m still torn on whether this is the greatest thing I’ve ever done or the stupidest.
10 Metaphors Explaining Why I Can No Longer Love You
1. You bleach your teeth with venom to look pleasing while you kill. My lips are eating away at themselves. These are the chemicals of your poison reacting with mine.
2. You set your lungs on fire, when your thoughts strain your limbs, to burn breaths out of your life. You press your mouth on mine, begging for my oxygen. My lungs will not return the breaths you’ve burnt. I do not have to breathe for anyone but myself.
3. There are pieces of our ghosts in the spaces between us. The ghosts in your dark rooms have found their way into mine.
4. You look for a brighter light but find a darker tunnel. To you, everything seems out of reach. It’s not your hands that will get you there.
5. I stutter and you shame my tongue for slipping on itself. You fail to realize the irony of your discomfort as my fingers shake.
6. I scan my body and see yours. You’ve disposed me of myself. I do not exist.
7. I was generous enough to share the privacy of my own thoughts. You said poetry is just another excuse for people to stop making sense and not have to feel bad about it. I still regard you as art.
8. I fuck for the speechlessness. You fuck for the screams.
9. There is a blue birth mark on your shoulder and red vines down the backs of your thighs. Needles prodded blue skulls into your back and there is a picture of the scabbing underneath the red dress in your trunk. Dresses come in many different colours. Mine are black.
10. Where are you?" - Alessia Di Cesare, 10 Metaphors Explaining Why I Can No Longer Love You (via featherumbrellas)
neymar looks like kovu what are u guys smoking